BVU Authority (BVU) has an opening for a Water Treatment Plant Operator (Class
1 or Class 2).
The primary duty of this position is to produce safe drinking water at BVU’s Water
Treatment Plant. This is accomplished by ensuring the treated water meets all
Virginia Department of Health’s required water quality standards when leaving the
plant and throughout the distribution system; operating and calibrating chemical
feed pumps; receiving and unloading chemicals; monitoring the processes through
the SCADA system and through visual checks; and reacting appropriately to
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitors water treatment processes by monitoring SCADA program and
conducting laboratory tests including turbidity, pH, chlorine and
• Visually and physically verifies that all production equipment is operating
within normal parameters.
• Responsible for analyzing data in order to determine efficient and effective
• Responsible for recording data and the production of associated operational
• Maintain, repair, or replace pumps, valves, lines, electrical parts, minor
construction, meters, etc.
• Maintain and log test results, inventory control, safety data, Virginia Health
Department reports, etc.
• Adjusts chemical feed rates and makes water treatment process changes.
• Comply with all State and Federal regulations regarding operation of the water
• Conduct water flushing operations within the water distribution system.
• Collect water samples, within the water distribution system, for lab analysis
• Respond to customer complaints concerning water pressure and water quality.
• Accept the duties and responsibilities of the Supervisor when he is not
present. These duties may include inspections, unusual and difficult process
decisions, and encounters in the Supervisor's absence.
• Work weekends, holidays, after normal hours or any time deemed necessary
for the operation of the water treatment plant.
• Must stay abreast of procedures for chemical analysis and processes described
by standard methods.
• Perform routine maintenance of building and grounds.
• Participates in training of new plant operators on an as-needed basis.
• Promotes good employee and department relations by working and
communicating well with other departments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must have the ability to conduct and analyze lab tests.
• Must have the math abilities required.
• Must be able to keep accurate records of plant operations and lab tests.
• Must be familiar with pertinent federal, state and local regulation needed on
• Must have knowledge in chemical analysis and formulations, mathematical
equations, conversion factors.
• Must be able to work with a minimum amount of supervision.
• Must be able to interact well with the public and represent BVU in a
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both in written and verbal
• Good working relationship with other departments.
• Must have computer knowledge to perform duties.
• Must know all applicable safety regulations, procedures, and use of safety
• Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, Excel, and Word.
Required Education, Training and Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent required. Associates’ Degree highly
• Must have and maintain a Virginia Class 1 or 2 Water Treatment Plant
• Experience in laboratory work and use of chemicals, and all other areas of plant
operation and maintenance.
• Ongoing training will be required as necessitated by developments in water
treatment and to maintain certifications.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
• Duties are performed indoors and outdoors in varying weather conditions.
• Required to work in awkward conditions, crawl, bend, climb, exposed to
common water treatment plant chemicals and move from one location to
another, both indoors and out.
• Must be able to constantly monitor changes in water and equipment conditions
and take immediate action.
• Travel is limited.
• Applicants may pick up and complete an employment application at our offices
at 15022 Lee Highway, Bristol, VA 24202, or mail, fax or email a resume to BVU
Authority, Attention Human Resources, P. O. Box 8100, Bristol, Virginia 24203-
8100, Fax No. (276) 642-2020, email email@example.com.
• Applicants may also obtain a job application from our website:
• Deadline to apply for this position is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 7, 2020.
Applicants must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment physical, drug and
alcohol test, and background check.
BVU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions of this position.